This is from Kim Moy, Y! managing editor:
Yahoo! On-Call Front Page Editors
We're looking for creative and versatile on-call producers to program Yahoo!’s front page. You will work on our successful Featured module, programming exciting, intelligent, relevant packages for the largest audience on the Web. On-call producers will fill in for full-time producers who program for the Yahoo.com and Yahoo! Broadband front pages.
The ideal candidate will have a feel for what works on the Web, a thorough grasp of the competitive landscape and a passion for news, entertainment, and popular culture. You should be able to spot the top “water cooler” story from a diverse field of choices, as well as react to breaking news. You are also flexible, quick-thinking, energetic, efficient, and able to work independently under pressure while maintaining attention to detail. Excellent interpersonal skills are a must, as this position requires interacting with fellow producers and employees throughout Yahoo! Time management skills are also critical.
For this round of hiring, we have a tight deadline. Interested folks need to email their resumes to email@example.com by 9 a.m. Thurs (6/14) and should be available for at least one day M-F during the last week of June for in-person interviews and training. We'll pay for the hours they spend in training.
If the timing doesn't work out for folks who are interested, we will have another round of hiring for our on-call positions, probably next month.
- Updating Yahoo!’s front page with fresh, compelling content
- Making great choices, crafting clever headlines and tease copy, choosing and cropping appropriate images
- Understanding the Yahoo! audience, and its interests
- Fielding pitches and proactively packaging material from the Yahoo! network
- Managing competing priorities
- A solid grounding in the basic principles of packaging, editing and writing for the Web
- Excellent news judgment
- Demonstrable headline writing, image selection and content packaging skills
- A thorough understanding of editorial best practices and priorities, and an authoritative grasp of the AP Stylebook and Chicago Manual of Style
- Basic HTML skills and experience with online publishing tools preferred
- B.A. required, preferably in journalism or media
On-call front page producers should be available on an as needed basis for shifts throughout the week – including early morning, late evening and weekends. Positions are based in Sunnyvale, CA. Applicants should send a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, with On-Call Editor in the subject line.