A smattering of opportunities ...
Managing Editor, Business News (petaluma)
A growing North Bay financial news publisher is seeking a superior managing editor to lead our coverage of alternative finance and investment markets full time for our website and print newsletters. We are looking for a corporate finance journalist, experienced in reporting on public equity and debt finance, with a strong analytical side.
Full-time Position (1 FTE), Oakland-based. Salary: $46,107 plus 3 weeks of vacation, medical, dental & vision (inc. domestic partners) and professional development opportunities. Men of color strongly encouraged to apply.
The DataCenter supports grassroots communities to build their research infrastructure and develop research and strategizing capacity from within to build their political power for change. We aim to reframe research as a tool for social change and self-determination in order to reclaim communities as the experts.
The DataCenter seeks an experienced information activist to collaborate primarily with youth and criminal justice groups across the country, especially those with bases among no- and low-income communities and communities of color, using research as a tool to build more successful campaigns, strengthen strategies, and increase capacity to utilize information and knowledge effectively for grassroots-led social change efforts. We use a wide range of research methods such as strategic, targeted research, census support, literature reviews and community based documentation projects.
Applicants should demonstrate a solid understanding of issues with regard to youth and criminal justice as well as an awareness of and openness to working across issue areas. Organizations we work with include: All of Us or None, Education not Incarceration, Critical Resistance, Highlander, Project South, Native Youth Movement, Providence Youth and Student Movement - PrYSM, Common Roots, Ella Baker Center and Southwest Worker's Union youth program.
The DataCenter is committed to reflecting our social justice values in all of our organizational practices. We engage in Shared Leadership and staff members are expected to play an active role in developing the organization. To learn more about Shared Leadership visit our website at http://datacenter.org/about/sharedleadership.htm. In addition, all staff engage in anti-oppression organizational culture work.
· Creative, inquisitive spirit with a commitment to social justice.
· Solid research experience (e.g. campaign or union research, community or grassroots research, oral history documentation, journalism, or academic research on social issues): designing research projects, conducting research, publishing or presenting research findings. And understanding of how research plays a powerful role in advancing grassroots-led social justice agenda.
· Demonstrated ability to coordinate projects and to develop organizational relationships.
· Competent at working within diverse cultural communities.
· Familiarity with grassroots organizing and experience with campaign strategy.
· Experience with or understanding of organizational development issues.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills.
· Computer and Internet skills.
· Interested in working in a collaborative environment defined by the values and principles of Shared Leadership.
· Ability to make a three-year commitment.
· Program development and planning experience.
· Strong quantitative experience (e.g. statistical analysis, spreadsheet manipulation, working with large data sets).
· Training experience, rooted in popular education methods.
· Familiarity with Lexis/Nexis.
· Familiarity and connection with issues in the U.S. South.
TO APPLY: Please send resume and cover letter to: Hiring Committee, DataCenter, 1904 Franklin Street, Suite 900, Oakland, CA 94612-2912 USA. Please no phone calls or faxes. For more information about the DataCenter, visit www.datacenter.org. Application deadline extended to Friday July 6th, 2007.
Communications/outreach manager, senior data analyst
EdSource is expanding and we need additional staff to help make that happen. Our small agency needs to substantially strengthen its research, data analysis, writing, outreach, and project management capabilities. We are creating several new positions, including a Communications/Outreach Manager and a Senior Data Analyst - both full time. We are also hiring additional research staff, but the exact mix of positions, job titles, and responsibilities will depend upon the qualifications of the people who apply.
EdSource is a team-oriented agency with exceptionally high standards for productivity, quality, and meeting deadlines. We are looking for self-motivated, highly skilled individuals who share our commitment to the importance of a strong public education system and our intellectual curiosity regarding what that requires. We hope to fill these positions this summer.
If you or someone you know is interested, please go to our website to learn more. Details about these positions and the application process are at http://www.edsource.org/abo_jobs_607.cfm.